In the fall of 1956, Kingston Estates was a growing young development built on the farm fields along Kings Highway. The developer, Goodwin Housing Corp., set aside over 18 acres of land for an elementary school and recreational area. The Kingston Civic Association secured 3.7 acres for a swim club and Kingston Estates Swim Club was founded and incorporated in April 1956.
When the founding trustees, Andrew Robertson, Thomas Primavera and Matthew Adamson, had secured 320 bondholders at $200 per bond from the neighborhood, Goodwin Housing Corp. purchased the remaining 55 bonds so construction could begin to build the pool, picnic areas, offices and shower facilities. Construction began in March 1957 and the club opened three months later on May 30th, 1957, surrounded by trees and open land, becoming the first of Cherry Hill’s thirteen swim clubs.
A swim team with 49 swimmers was formed immediately after the club opened in 1957 and has been a vital part of the club and south Jersey swimming since then.
In 1996, 40 years after opening, the pool was stripped down to its original building blocks and completely renovated along with the concrete deck around it. In 2006, our original club house, which was deteriorating, was torn down and replaced with a brand new fully ADA compliant building. With the opening of the new club house, KESC has the distinction of being not only the oldest club in Cherry Hill, but also the newest and finest.